Friday, February 19, 2016

Pancakes a.k.a Tiganopsomo Fried Bread

Yum


                                                      Greek Pancakes a.k.a Tiganopsomo ( Fried Bread)




Fried Bread or Tiganopsomo, A heavenly treat for anytime of the day, Tigano/tigani means frying pan and psomo/psomi means bread, therefore, we have tiganopsomo. My mom was exceptional in the kitchen,I thank God she passed down her culinary skills on to me. Every time she would make Tiganopsoma, the sizzle and scent from the olive oil whiffed my nose and I just couldn't wait to sink my teeth in this crunchy and fluffy tiganopsoma.  This recipe has value because it's not only the fact that it tastes goods but it's associated with the scenic and beautiful birthplace of my parents. Mathraki. It represents a time when people didn't have access to supermarkets and fast food chain stores. They cooked with what they had at hand and this kind of forced them to come up with various recipes. My mom can be called a home cook aficianado. Tiganospsoma are fulfilling and so fun to make! You can eat them in so many different ways, the traditional way with feta cheese, tomatoes and olives. For a sweeter version, drizzle them with honey, sugar and cinnamon. TIP: a) you can  turn them into personal pizzas with a variety of toppings. b) In some regions they add feta cheese, olive oil, oregano or mint leaves in between two tiganopsoma and fry them. This is a great idea for your next party. A simple and yet so savory delight that I had to share this experience with my kids( which they love) and now I'm sharing my mom's traditional  recipe with you all. 






Ingredients
  • 500 grams of all purpose or self rising flour
  • 1 cup of luke warm water
  • 1 envelope of dry yeast
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 1/2 cup of olive oil



First, have your luke warm water ready, add it in a bowl, add your yeast and mix until the yeast has been diluted completely. Once this has been done add flour mix until you get a soft stick substance ( this is called a leaven



When you are almost done set it aside for about an hour or so the longer the better. An hour is a good portion of time for the leaven to rise, if starts to make bubble it's good.

When the leaven is ready, keep adding luke warm water and flour, before completing it onto a pliable dough add your salt. The dough is ready when it no longer sticks to your fingers. I usually use all of the 500 grams of flour and then I have extra flour when I roll the bread pitas out. I usually make about 15 -18 pancakes, I  used all 500 grams of flour and of course, I give to my neighbors as well. 
Before making your tiganopsomo allow the dough to rest for 30 min.




Make sure you flour your surface before rolling out your flat breads. I roll them out to about 7 - 8 inches, We all like them big, if the  dough is a bit sticky just add more flour. Don't roll them out to tick or they will not fry well in the middle. I know this from personal experience. 




Add olive oil enough to cover the bottom of the the pan. When placing the bread in the pan dust off the extra flour then place in pan make tiny holes in the bread with your fork. Let it fry until golden brown on both sides. Olive oil works best for tiganopsoma. Best to serve when they are warm. KALE OREXI!! Another great recipe from my kitchen to yours! 














No comments :

Post a Comment