Sunday, November 29, 2015

Stuffed Turkey Breast

Yum


                                                        Stuffed Turkey Breast 



A Thanksgiving tradition that is associated with eating,shopping and football, I think we all have steered away from the real meaning and the reason we celebrate this  special day. We shouldn't set aside just one day to give thanks but everyday should be a day of thanking and giving. Our thanksgiving tradition of turkey, phone calls and well wishes suddenly came to a halt. It's something that we knew and progressively happened and we had to come to accept it! We didn't celebrate Thanksgiving last year we had one less table setting, my dad was watching us from above. My dad was very big on holidays and thanksgiving was no exception. Thanksgiving without him was not the same, there's an emptiness a void that will never be filled. You see, he had a lot  to be thankful for. My dad wasn't American but he had a tremendous amount of love for the country that gave him bread and butter, as he would remind us, whenever he saw an opportunity.

My parents were pilgrims in some sort of way. They arrived to the new world, America, for a better life. Aside from facing quite a few obstacles, they bought with them their own traditions but also learned news ones, they accepted and respected them. The year before he passed away, as ailing as he was, even though his body  had endured pain and had even lost interest in eating, he still found will and power and went and bought a Turkey because ......
...... celebrating meant everything to him and he always said no matter what life continues. Once again, he showed us how thankful he was for what he had accomplished.

Nostalgia staring at us straight in the eyes, regretting every argument or misunderstanding we had with our father, tears rolling down our cheeks as I stare at the phone  and wishing for one more holiday call with dad.

In closing, thank you dad, for showing us how to love, respect and give thanks for what we have and especially that we have food on the table. I carry you dad in my memories, heart and in all I do. I miss you this Thanksgiving and every single day that passes

To all who read this,take the time out and focus on what really matters forget about all arguments and misunderstandings you have with family members. Make special memories love one another. It sounds cliche but it's the essence of our daily lives. Give thanks not only on Thanksgiving but each everyday because you never know when your Thanksgiving will change.

My last thought for this day  is a  small verse from the Bible from Thessalonians, (1 Timothy 5:4) Where he speaks about family. Thank You,Father, for creating families. Thank You for giving  me parents, siblings, a spouse and children, and grandchildren.( don't have any, too young) Family is a part of your plan and I'm so grateful for my loved ones.

This is what Thanksgiving means to me. This year and many more to come I will be creating my own tradition. We don't need to stuff a whole Turkey to celebrate ( my family is not very bog on turkey) I and to find an alternate dish and still remain within tradition. I  overloaded a turkey breast with stuffing and baked in honey and beer I dedicate this recipe to my dad, who's my guardian angel.



Stuffed Turkey Breast Baked in Beer and Honey 
Ingredients: 
  • 2.2 pounds fillet turkey breast
  • 1 fresh leek
  • 3 slices bacon
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon parsley
  • 1 small onion
  • 1 fresh onion sprig
  • 1 small tomato
  • 1 small green bell pepper
  • florina pepper
  • garlic cloves
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • tri-color peppercorns
  • 2 knorr beef cubes
  • various cheeses like gouda, muenster cheese, Greek feta
  • cooking twine or linen string ( I prefer linen string) 
  • oregano
  • 2 big yams
  • 4 big potatoes
  • 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
 First slice up your turkey breast slowly, make sure it doesn't thin out to much so ingredients can stay in the middle and not seep out. Season with salt and pepper.

                        

Chop up all the ingredients, tomato, onion, leek etc. add them to the center of turkey breast, spread them a bit around and down the center,  season with salt, pepper, oregano and pepper corns, sprinkle with olive oil and roll. I also added 1/2 knorr beef cube. When rolling take the two ensds and fold them inward and continue to roll. Set aside the beer and honey.
                         

 When you are done rolling tie it with your cooking twine, make sure it'tight. Place it in your pan add, beer and honey. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, oregano and olive oil.Add the other half of the knorr beef cube. Add 1/2 cup of water.

                                       
                                             
Cover with parchment paper, cook  on high for about 45 minutes, if more is needed,lower heat and cook for about another 15 minutes.
   
                                           
 


                                When ready you can serve it with mash potatoes and use my my tasty meat dip to add extra flavor to your turkey slices. I boiled my yams and potatoes.I mashed them together. I added 1/2 cup milk, 1 tablespoon butter, 1/2 knorr beef cube.Salt and pepper to taste. The whole dish came out scrumptious but don't take my word for it.Go ahead ant try it. I await for your feedback!!

Another delish recipe from my kitchen to yours!! I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!                           

                                                 
I paired my dish with a semi sweet red wine.I prefer semi sweet wines to dry.









                                                               









No comments :

Post a Comment