Monday, July 6, 2015

Kumquat - Gourmet Pasta Dish

Yum
                                                   Kumquat - Gourmet Summer Pasta    
     



Kumquats, resemble little oranges,  they originated in China and kumquat in chinese means "Golden orange" they  where bought to Corfu by an english botanist  by  the name of Sydney Merlin. You can eat them with the peel ( personally I don't like them like that) they have a bitter sweet taste. I prefer to eat them in food, as a teaspoon sweet or liqeur ( which I love ) Kumquats over the years have become a trademark of Corfu. I will provide you with more information on a later article dedicated only to kumquats.

As you already know, I  have an apetite for unique, specialty and gourmet dishes. This is a trait I inherited from my dad, his taste buds danced t specilaty dishes. As faith would have it, I was at my local butcher shop, the owner knows I have a cooking blog and he literally jumps at every opportunity he sees me, to let me know of any specialty and gourmet dishes.  While shopping there I told him I have a basket full of Kumquats, wow, you're very lucky I have the perfect gourmet recipe for you. Here it is my lovely readers. Kumquat- Gourmet Summer Pasta.




Ingredients

  • 40 - 50 pieces of Kumquats ( about 1/2 pound) 
  • 2.2 pounds pasta ( I used spaghetti but any pasta will do) 
  • 1 large onion
  • garlic cloves
  • cups water
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
* This amount is good for 8 - 10 servings.
* For 2- 3 servings use 20 kumquats and 500 grams of pasta.

                 Take your kumquats and rinse them thorougly in a colander. Allow them to dry.
                                         
 

           Chop up your onions, garlic, add your kumquats salt & pepper to taste. Saute until                                  kumquats become soft and you can mash them with a fork.


Mash them just like you see in the picture below to release all the juice from them and then stir.


When done add your water let the cook on high heat for about 30 min. if more water is needed add accordingly.


Sauce is ready when it has thicken and it has a creamy and velvety type of taste. Add your cooked pasta ( I pre fer al dente) 


                 Your pasta is ready to serve with a Chardonnay! Another great dish from my kitchen to yours.   


                                                         KALE OREXI !!!



No comments :

Post a Comment