Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Spinach with rice a.k.a - Spanakorizo






Spinach with Rice a.k.a Spanakorizo






 More Greek words ;)  Spanakorizo, this is a dish I discovered at a local tavern here in Corfu and it's delicious especially if you love spinach. It can be served as a side dish or as a main course.

By Mommy's Kitchen
Published 11/30/2014

Ingredients

2 cups rice
1 1/2 spinach
1/2 lemon
1 beef cube knorr
1 tablespoon parsley
1 tablespoon dill
2 sprigs fresh onions
5 cloves of garlic
himalayan salt or regular salt  and pepper to taste
/12 teaspoon of oregano
1/3 cup of olive oil

Take your Spinach and cut the bottom of the stems. Soak them in water 3 or 4 times until they there's no dirt at the bottom of the bowl or pot.Drain and cut chop small pieces.





Finely chop all of you remaining greens as seen in the pictures below your dill, parsley, fresh onions, garlic. Add your rice and all your greens in a pot along with your olive oil and saute for about 10 minutes.






All my greens are fresh.



My parsley is fresh, I had so much that I placed it in the freezer. You can still chop it up.


Chop your garlic into small pieces.




When all your greens are chopped up place them in your pot add your rice, oil, oregano salt and pepper to taste.  If  you would like you can add 1 knorr meat boullion. Saute for 10 minutes.


I just love capturing food while it's cooking, it looks so mouth watering! 




Add 5 measurings cups of water. Cover and let cook for 30 minutes.
When the rice is sliced in the center it is ready, I prefer it a bit al dente. When it's ready to serve
squeeze half a lemon stir and serve. You can serve as a side dish or as a main course. Another tasty dish from my kitchen to your. 





KaleOrexi !!!!





Yield: 5 servings 
Prep Time: 00:20 min.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 30 mins. 
Total time: 50 mins. 



Tags:Greek food,Greek recipes, easy lunches, side dishes, easy recipes, Spinach recipes 











8 comments :

  1. Oh yeah I always have to freeze parsley - I can never finish the entire bunch! The lemon on that sounds SO yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a garden filled with vegetables so I have to freeze most of them. The lemon adds that extra zing in the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We loooooooove spinach and I'd like to try this recipe
    Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kids don't really liek spinach but when I make it this way they love it !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a big ran of rice but this looks amazing. You've just reminded me I haven't had dinner yet. I think I might even have all the ingredients...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids are not a big fan of spinach but when I make it this way, we never have any leftovers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. G'day Looks to be a healthy dish and thanks for allowing me to learn something new!
    Cheers! Joanne pinned
    #ibabloggers

    ReplyDelete